Greetings Food Awareness Friends,
Here's your monthly Food Awareness Group Schedule of Activities, loaded with GREAT News to Uplift Us All !!!
Saturday, June 8, 2:00pm Monthly Meeting and Social
Grawemeyer's Bakery, Restaurant and Bar
520 S Main St, just north of G.E. Patterson – 901.800.1553
A GREAT vegan and vegetarian friendly establishment with a great ambience.
Join us for networking, food, friendship and fun. Free literature available from credible sources.
June 21-23 Memphis 2nd Annual Plant Based Food Festival ~ at Overton Park, Memphis
- Friday: 9am - 8pm; Sat & Sun 11am - 8pm
Golden opportunity to help Memphis!
Come to the Plant-Based Food Festival, a family event where you can explore a multitude of healthy eating options, all created without the use of animal products or by-products. A variety of vendors will offer vegetarian, vegan, and raw vegan fare that showcase plant-based epicurism. Attend a food demonstration, browse and shop eco-friendly artisan vendors, enjoy live music, and bring the kids to partake in children's activities. 5K Walk/Run and a mutlitude of speakers and lots of community fun. Bianca and Vaughan will both be guest speakers during the event.
VOLUNTEERS Needed for day of the EVENT -- Please contact me or Bastett
Saturday, June 29, 2013 from 1-2 pm ~ Food Awareness Benefits Presentation
Lucius E. and Elsie C. Burch, Jr. Library
501 Poplar View Parkway, Collierville, TN 38017
An informative and dynamic Power Point presentation by Vaughan
with humor and benefits for all. Open to the public.
Progress & News Updates Follow
New York Elementary Public School Became 1st to go COMPLETELY VEGETARIAN
- Flushing's P.S. 244 consists of about 400 students between kindergarten and 3rd grate. The staff stated the school lunches, which include options like black bean quesadillas, brown rice, falafels, roasted red potatoes, and tofu -- are a hig among those young kids, some of whom have started requesting similar foods at home. Here is a landmark example that will pave the way for other schools in America to adopt a more healthy diet! Power to the people!!!
Paul McCartney & PETA Sponsors Food Awareness Outreach at His FedEx Forum Concerts
- We were asked to distribute free literature at the entrance of the sold out Paul McCartney concert last Sunday. He has published a number of flyers promoting a vegetarian diet, has a web site and movement advocating Meat Free Mondays (coincidentally and/or synchronistically for us/with us) and narrated a powerful DVD called: "Glass Walls". The theme is that if slaughterhouses had glass walls, we'd all be vegetarians. Truth and Vaughan handed out hundreds of DVD's and brochures and the crowd was very receptive. Many thanks to Paul and PETA for sponsoring such a positive outreach event!
Promoting Memphis City Council to Officially Endorse Meatless Mondays
- Vaughan is drafting a resolution with documented justification to present to City Council. Washington DC and LA have had their city council post Meatless Mondays as a good habit to adopt, let's add Memphis to the list! Once the resolution draft and info package is ready, our plan is to circulate it among well respected health authorities in Memphis and try to get them to ENDORSE it prior to submitting it to Memphis City Council. If you have any contacts or suggestions, to add to this short list, please contact me:
- Mayor A C Wharton
- Church Health Center, Dr. Scott Morris
- Healthy Memphis Common Table, Dr. Renee Frazier
- Megan Murphy, weekly columnist for Commercial Appeal and Associate Professor of Nutrition
- Dr. Robin Roach, U of M Director of Dietetics
- Tony Geraci, Director of Nutrition for Memphis City Schools
- Others? PLEASE help us grow this list ---
Going Vegan - a Winning Formula for Athelete
One of the flyers we handed out at the McCartney concert had a list of vegan champion atheletes including: Carl Lewis, Olympian Champion; Scott Jurek, top ultramarathon runner, Jake Shields, mixed martial arts champion;Rich Roll and Brendan Brazier, renowned triathetletes and ultra-endurance racers. Carl Lewis stated his: "Best year of track competition was the 1st year I ate a vegan diet."
Going for an organic veggie burger sounds better all the time !
Disclaimer: This information is not intended to provide advice on personal health care matters, which should be provided by a qualified health professional.
Join our efforts toward making the world better, one meal at a time!